List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KFileDialog (was Re: KTabListBox)
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-08-30 9:41:43

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Coolo, if you are cleaning the KFileDialog, please get rid of your multicolumn
listbox widget (this view which is used if you don't have the tablistbox, but a
list with mutiple columns).

The QListBox in 2.0 supports the same features (multiple columns and much more
:-) and is much faster and doesn't flicker (which is the case with the widget in
the filedialog). And you will never be able to make this widget really smooth,
as it is derived from a QTableView which is one of the worst classes in Qt and
should really not be used (QScrollView is much better!).
Also I think keyboard focus handling is not done correctly in the widget in the
filedilog (it's wrong in the KTabListBox too, btw), in the QListBox it works of
course.

So, either use just a QListBox there, or derive from QListBox, if you need to
implement some stuff which is not in QListBox. But please don't use the
QTableView derived class anymore :-))

Also, you did quite some hacks using the QListBox on the left side of the
filedialog, which don't work with 2.0. So, e.g. when pressing the mouse button
and move the mouse keeping it pressed, you can't select items in the
filedialog. This is the result of a hack in the filedialog.

I once looked at the code, and you really don't need this hacks, it's possible
to do all that in a clean way too.

And I don't like the API and way of the preview mode in the kfiledialog, I like
the one which I implemented in the QFileDialog for Qt 2.1 more, but that's
mybe a matter of personal taste and it's enough for now and a discussion
about that can be done later ;-))

--
Reggie