List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Mimetypes in kdelibs ?
From:       David Faure <david.faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-08-10 12:30:28

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 12:02:01PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, David Faure wrote:
> > [other stuff]

> Even koffice doesn't run without kdebase.
>
> Why?
>
> Because the FilterManager in KOffice uses KMimeType. In particular it uses
> KMimeType::find() and KMimeType::findByURL() . This will bomb the user
> with certain QMessageBoxes about not installed mimetypes, since the
> previous KRegistry init code (for KServiceTypes) in KoFilterManager will
> not find any mimetypes and therefore not load anything.
>
> I somehow wonder why the mimetypes are in kdebase at all? Was it that
> only kfm used them directly?.
> I remember that this has been discussed some time ago, but I actually
> forgot the outcome of the discussion. (I need to upgrade my brain with
> more memory ;)

I can't remember there was a good reason for that.
kio needs mimetypes, so I think kdebase/mimetypes should be moved
to kdelibs. ok, it needs kioslaves as well, but that's for more "advanced"
usage of kio (i.e. kiojobs). Anyway the slaves could be moved as well.

I think it's better _not_ to require kdebase to be installed for koffice
to run. Who needs a file manager, and desktop manager, a web browser, ...
for an office suite to run ? :)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org