List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SmbAnswerCallback -- where is it declared?
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodu () iie ! cnam ! fr>
Date:       1999-08-04 9:57:18

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999, coolo@caldera.de wrote:
> Nicolas Brodu wrote:

> > > yes.
> >
> > And SmbAnswerCallback isn't even used at present => cleaned up.
> > Yet, you'll need to update kdesupport.
> >
> Which is nonsense. kdesupport is meant to be an optional part of KDE.
> This is not kdelibs. If libsmb is such a moving target, then we should
> drop support for it til it matured. Sorry for saying so, but it's just
> going to be a major pain when this continues.

Yes, you are right.

At present I spend more time coding libsmb than anything else truly in KDE,
that's why the API has changed somewhat (and I'd like to move on to something
else than smb !).
The configure in kdebase doesn't compile kio_smb if libsmb isn't
found, so at that I suppose it makes kdesupport optional. To avoid problems as
this one, though, maybe it should also detect the version.
I suppose it's possible to freeze the libsmb version in kdesupport
for a while, and to commit changes only when it's justified (or if it is source
compatible).

Hmm, I don't know what to think. libsmb is only used in kio_smb, and the rest
of KDE should use smb throught the kiolib if need be, not using libsmb
directly. Yet even if I made it for KDE in the first place, it's a good thing
it remains independant so that non-KDE people can contribute. And yet
again it's much better to have smb support in konqueror than in an
external browser.

Ideas ?

Nicolas Brodu, brodu@iie.cnam.fr
Eleve-Ingenieur 2eme annee (Institut d'Informatique d'Entreprise)
  http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/brodu (libsmb)
KDE developer, brodu@kde.org
  http://www.kde.org, Color outside the lines !