List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice development
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       1999-08-03 13:48:24

Richard Moore wrote:

> Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> >
> > Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> > > Another thing is KDiagramm. This doesn't work well at all (too much hacks here
> > > and there). Torben started writing a cool 3D digramm engine. So if somebody is
> > > interested in makeing a user interface for that and keeping working on (a
> > > new) KDiagramm, he/she should probably contact Torben (weis@kde.org) to get the
> > > code + instructions. Then we could replace the current KDiagramm with that one.
> >
> > Actually, what Torben didn't like wasn't the old diagram engine, but
> > rather its interface, so we put together my (more flexible and
> > extensible) engine and his interface.
>
> Is this in the CVS somewhere?

Yes, everything that you can find in the KDiagramm directory. There is
also part of my engine that hasn't been ported yet still in KChart.

> > Both Werner Trobin and I have some (not-quite-working) additional code
> > for cool charts on our hard disks, so if you start working on anything
> > in KDiagramm, please contact me so that I can explain what is there and
> > what isn't :-)
>
> I have been vaguely thinking about some sort of clone of Visio, with a
> focus mainly on software diagrams. Is there enough of a vector drawing
> engine done to make this possible, or should I just wait until Warwick
> releases his Qt-canvas thingy?

KDiagramm is completely pixel-based, so this won't help. But I would be
very happy if you (or somebody else) starts a Visio clone and would have
lots if ideas to share (and hopefully some time after all this
emigration business is done :-()

> > I'll hope that I can finally contribute something again after I have
> > moved. This emigration is a more major drain on my time than I had
> > expected (the number of forms to fill in so far has grown to 56...)
>
> Tell me about it, even an H1B seemed to involve endless hassle, and
> six months wait. :-(

At least, I don't have to wait for a long time, it's just the sheer
amount of forms that kills me...

Kalle

--
Kalle Dalheimer     Contract programming for Unix
kalle@dalheimer.de  Technical writing

Lukashenko and the Pope - the last remaining dictators in Europe.