At 14.48 26/07/99 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote: >Bernd Gehrmann wrote: >> >> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote: >> >> > Application .desktop files (but what I'm going to say may apply to other >> > types of desktop files as well) have a "Name" key that is used both as >> > the system application identifier and as the application name in the K-menu. >> >> Why not use the file name as identifier? > >Yes, why can't the file name be used as identifier? That would be much >simpler wouldn't it? This was my original proposal talking with Simon Hausmann (kded), and he objected that Name is already a general identifier for all kinds of services, not only application .desktop files. We might have KTrader::findServiceById(QString), but I'm sure that developers will confuse it with KTrader::findServiceByName(QString). In other words I'm not happy if for some services we use Name as identifier and for others (=applications) we use the file name or the AppId entry. This is why I suggested the Label entry. -- Pietro