Pietro Iglio wrote: > > Application .desktop files (but what I'm going to say may apply to other > types of desktop files as well) have a "Name" key that is used both as > the system application identifier and as the application name in the K-menu. > > This approach has some drawbacks: > > - if the user changes the application name in the K-menu > (eg. Klyx 1.0 -> KLyx), the system application identifier is changed too; > this might break external references -- an application identifier should > NEVER be changed until an application is uninstalled; > > - application identifiers could have a more compact format to avoid > typing errors when a configuration file (menurc) is manually edited > (eg. "Stardivision StarOffice 5.01" -> "SOFFICE_501"); > > My proposal is to separate them using Name for the application identifier > and Label for the application name that is shown in the k-menu. > Name should not be translated any more, of course. > So, a .desktop file with the following entries: > > Type=Application > Name=Trashcan > Name[it]=Cestino > Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz > > should become: > > Type=Application > Name=Trashcan > Label=Trashcan > Label[it]=Cestino > Label[ru]=xxxyyyzzz > > Of course it is possible to write a simple perl script to update existing > desktop files. For backward compability, we could assume Label=Name if > there is no Label entry. > > Opinions? > I'm against not translating Name. Everywhere are entries with Name that are meant to be translated. Why not just have AppIdentifier that defaults to Name or something like that? Greetings, Stephan -- Better give your hours some more life than your life some more hours. - anonymous