List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Using tar.gz archives as koffice documents
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-07-22 19:46:24

I noticed the plan to use .tar.gz format on the news page. I have a
couple of comments:

I like the idea of using some sort of archive file, but I don't think
tar is necessarily the best to use. The problem is that tar files can
only be read as a stream, but for a compound document I think access to
the individual files is important. I would suggest that perhaps ZIP
files (perhaps using a JAR compatible manifest file) would be a better
alternative. Zip files have a directory at the end making access to
individual files easier. The disadvantage is that as the files are
individually compressed rather than compressed as a single stream they
tend to be slightly larger.

Rich.
--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk