List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kded
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-07-22 12:08:38

Daniel Naber wrote:

> Simon Hausmann wrote:
>
> > Yes, CORBA over networks is nice, but we don't have to forget the
> > security aspect! In fact the current issue about different ways of
> > IPC for kded is not really related to this because kded now uses a
> > unix domain socket for communication for a while now.
>
> Sorry for being so clueless, but I didnīt get whatīs the actual
> problem. Is it that everybody would be able to connect everybodies
> kded over the internet?
>
> If so, what about a server mode that explicitly allows this. People
> who want to provide a public kded (plus some services) could call kded
> with this option. They have to know "if something is broken in kded,
> somebody might hack my system". Just as it is with any other server
> software.

This public kded makes me think of a world-wide KDE/koffice filter
server; if a filter is not installed locally the filter is retrieved
from filters.kde.org.
Would that be possible with kded?

--
In a world without walls and fences,  l.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de
who needs Windows and Gates?          Institute of Plasma physics (IPP)