List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesky (was: Re: Changes to DialogBase and KAboutDialog)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-13 10:18:19

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> No KWM calls at all. But it actually did not paint to
> QApplication::desktop(), thus making it incompatible with apps
> painting on  the real root window (their stuff simply wasn't
> painted since the  huge-kdesktop window filled the whole screen).

This has been discussed some months ago with Torben and the idea
was that we (KDE) would grab the root window and that we would screw
programs who would want to paint on the root window as well.

Although this sounds a bit selfish it makes sense IMHO because the
root window is obviously a scarce resource which needs to be managed.
Since X-windows doesn't do this very properly we (KDE) need to do
it.

kdesktop should provide functionality to display different
backgrounds and perhaps a nice pluggable interface to hook in
programs xsnow-like programs.

And of course it should also possible to turn off these pesty
icons on your desktop completely and just enjoy the functionality
of the original x-snow instead.

Torben: Are these ideas still valid or have you changed your mind?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"