List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Diagonal gradient support now in KPixmap
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-07-11 17:33:35

I've added diagonal gradients to KPixmap, thus the following method is obselete:

void KPixmap::gradientFill(QColor ca, QColor cb, bool upDown, int ncols)

It is now replaced by:
void KPixmap::gradientFill(QColor ca, QColor cb, GradientMode direction, int
ncols)

Where GradientMode is KPixmap::Horizontal, KPixmap::Vertical, or
KPixmap::Diagonal.

I also added kgradienttest to kdelibs/kdetest. It's just a simple hack that
draws a diagonal gradient and resizes it with the window. It's not optimized or
anything, just allocates a pixmap during paintEvent, makes a gradient, and
draws it.

The old method is still there, but now prints a warning and calls the new
method. If you have code using this please update it. The old one will be
removed as soon as we are sure nothing breaks.

I have updated kcmdisplay so it uses the new enums, but have not added the
diagonal one. I'm not too familiar with the kbgndwm stuff, so the maintainer
may want to look at it. Kwm uses it's own titlebar gradient code... probably
should change that also. Is there a reason it's not using KPixmap's?

Of course the widget themes support it already-)

TODO: I'm thinking it may be useful to have a optional faster but less accurate
dithering algorithm. Doing a fullscreen gradient is almost instant under 32bpp,
but takes forever to dither on non-truecolor displays.

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com