List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 Multimedia Support
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-07-11 15:57:20

Christian Esken wrote:

> Hi everybody,

Hello,

> before I start answering the different points, let me stress on thing at
> the beginning:
>
> We definitely need ONE filter concept for KDE - without the wheel
> will be reinvented each time. If we have ONE concept, it would be
> even possible to "plug in" binary-only codecs in the KDE MM
> system.
>
> IMO this is the only chance to gain access to current video
> compression techniques.
>
> So every MM developer: *Please* free your mind - think about
> integrating your application in a possible KDE MM Framework.
> This can mean dropping whole chunks of code - this hurts, but
> it is worth the pain in case we get a real MM framework up.
> The point is integration, not in killing projects.

I agree, but by "droppings chunks of code" you really mean
"replacing chunks of code with more efficient, elegant, and easy
to use code" :-)

[...]

> >Noone should drop his app.
>
> Yes. But they should be migrated into KDE´s multimedia system. If it is a filter,
> everybody can use it. Then kmidi would send just as many audio channels
> as needed. Filters of the KDE MM system could then individually manipulate
> each channel. I am sure, kmid could profit as well.

KMidi has audio output. KMid only has midi output. I don't think it can
benefit
from the filters in the way you've talked.
Anyway, the midi server I've started will do this kind of thing, it's still
in the beginnings (only started the design and concepts to have it clear),
so
if anyone has any idea, feel welcome to give it. I'm not sure if it would
be good
to unificate it with the audio server, but I have my doubts, since they
need
different things and work in different ways.

> >A plugin mechanism like in KImgIO is (I think) necessary, so that companies
> >can add their own formats for everyone to use them.
>
> Yes! Very important!

I've been thinking, the server(s) should provide the basic services (play
audio
data, play midi notes, etc.) and then we should make a library (similar to
kimgio)
which plays complete files (play a .wav file, a .mid file or a .avi file)
using the server(s), isn't it ?

> >> - Filters
> >>
> >> There should be video, audio and probably midi filters. These should be

Can someone explain to me what would a midi filter do ? If I'm not wrong
it's what I call a midi mapper in kmid, isn't it ?

> It´s quite. But I hope when we start a real MM framework we will have more traffic.

Yeah, I'm glad it's getting some traffic now :-)

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
antlarr@arrakis.es        larrosa@kde.org