List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: multi-head
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-07-02 22:03:02

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Martin Konold wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Martin Konold wrote:
> >
> > > The XFree86 people demonstrated kwm and kpanel running on XFree86-3.9
> > > on three physical screens.
> > >

> > Yes, this is possible with running separate processes on each screen and
> > living with conflicting configs and race conditions. Not acceptable for
> > real work. (I already have patches for making kwm take care of multiple
> > configs on multihead)
>
> Hmm,... I do not understand. They showed a single kpanel running across
> all three screens. You easily could drag any window across the screens
> too.

Oh! OK! That's Xinerama (I think that's what you saw). Many screens acting
as only one. Your X server acts just like it had some fancy
H=(3X1200) x W=1024 display or something. And even there. What we do with
kpanel? Let it run across all screens? Oh! No! I should have
configurable width or be put vertically (or whatever) so that it
completely appears on only one of the screens)

Anyway, thanks for the hint, Martin. It seems I have to get the XFree-3.9
somehow.

Cristian