List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: multi-head
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-07-02 1:37:08

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Stefan Taferner wrote:

> Is it two different DISPLAYs, or is it one big virtual screen that resides
> on two monitors?

It's not the first, it could eventually be the second (X11R6.4 introduced
an extention called Xinerama that does exactly this). But what I'm talking
about is two screens (displays) showing different things but pertaining to
the same X11 DISPLAY thing. That means, screens are children objects of
the DISPLAY and run separately but can communicate (more directly that
distinct DISPLAYs).

> I vote for making a subclass of the specific classes (if possible).

OK

> > Is it of any use to consider per-screen locale support?
>
> I don't think so.

I thought so too :-)

> > How kpanel content should be managed on a multi-head system? A single
> > instance simultaneously displayed on all the screens? A different (icon
> > layout) configuration on each screen (I'd find this confusing)?
>
> Or one kpanel on the leftmost / rightmost / wherever screen?

No, the position, layout etc would surely be saved on per-screen basis (or
even per virtual desktop). I mean, the icons contained in the panel should
be the same all over the screens or should it be different? Or should
panel be ran per-screen at users' will? (thus eliminating the need of
multihead support on kpanel altogether)

Thanks
Cristian