List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: revisiting the sycoca
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2024-02-13 12:59:15

On 2024-02-13, Harald Sitter <sitter@kde.org> wrote:
> Do you have a testing plan in mind?

Not a dedicated one, no. But assuming your analysis is mostly correct,
something along the lines of

 - What's the plasma startup performance with and without sycoca on a
   clean user
   - If much slower, try isolate which of the 3 parts are responsible
 - What's the startup performance if a user has done modifications like
   menu changes and user-environment installed apps/desktop files [a]
 - What happens when a user adds their own mimetype additions ? That
   could also be loading a folder with such files in dolphin or a 'save
   /open'-dialog

I'm assuming this is mostly disk intensive operations, so a slow disk
(spinning metal) is probably a good idea for that.

I wonder if we should also try to get David Faure to look at this
thread.

/Sune

[a] Isn't this even more likely in the world of flappacks and snacks and
appimages and snaps and flatpaks and such