List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Flatpak jobs on KDE CI vs. continuous integration on main/master/devel branches
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-02-07 18:31:38

Am Montag, 5. Februar 2024, 00:15:00 CET schrieb Julius Künzel:
> > Besides all the resource costs to create flatpaks on master builds by
> > default
> every time, when those are usually not used by anyone anyway.
>
> It is important to mention that the pipelines on master usually publish to
> the nightly repos on cdn.kde.org/flatpak I guess you were not aware of that
> otherwise I wonder what makes you so confident to know nobody uses it?

That was said with the context of at least some people (including me) doing
development bursts when there is a time window, pushing multiple times in a
row on the same evening (to have each set of change CI-tested on its own, like
for platforms one does not have access to).
So all the flatpaks in those intermediate builds serve no usage purpose, for
developers not into the flatpak ecosystem. Only the last might, if any people
actually have a reson to use nightly builds.

And was said thinking of applications were there might be no-one interested/
motivated to actually run nightly-builds version for the normal life needs,
where you want to rely on stable things to do your actual things in life those
are just tools for.
And nightly flatpaks might be rather interesting for people test-driving bug
fixes occasionally. Or testing translations, though scripty does not trigger
flatpak builds, does it?
For that some on-demand might be more resource-friendly, instead of defaulting
to "always build and force all contributors into supporting it", as I
experience that here.

Cheers
Friedrich