List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: drkonqi's many debuggers
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-08-31 16:22:17

On Thursday, 31 August 2023 03:42:59 PDT Halla Rempt wrote:
> On dinsdag 29 augustus 2023 05:22:56 CEST Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > True, but the majority of our user base is still Linux, so if we had to
> > choose only one, it would have to be gdb.
>
> Um, no? The majority is on Windows.

Yes, we have certain hero apps (like Krita) that would skew the statistics. So
maybe you're right.

But that doesn't change the conclusion because the vast majority of Windows
users won't have a debugger installed. Those few that do won't have the
debugger in the standard $PATH because it's just not the way things are done
on Windows.

So rephrasing what I meant to say, "the vast majority of users who have any
debugger installed are Linux users with gdb".

But I maintain that we should support both GDB and LLDB.