Am Montag, 6. Februar 2023 02:28:19 CET schrieb Neal Gompa: > Most people expect normal proportional fonts when reading mail, not > monospaced text. Even my email client doesn't show email in monospaced > text by default. But using a proportional font breaks: * complex indentation, as I had already mentioned, * nicely aligned text tables, * ASCII art drawings, making mails using any of those display incorrectly. All those constructs=20 can come up in technical discussions among tech-savvy persons such as here=20= on kde-core-devel. (We are not "most people".) Keep in mind that code is=20 usually displayed using a monospace font, too, and that e-mails on KDE=20 mailing lists are likely to contain code snippets. I see no technical advantage in using a proportional font by default, only=20= drawbacks. (And for those who want it, a JavaScript-heavy interface such as=20= HyperKitty could make it switchable with one click and/or keypress. E.g.,=20 in KNode, you just push the X button on your keyboard to switch instantly.=20= Wheeras Trojit=C3=A1 just always uses a monospace font for plaintext (non-HTM= L)=20 e-mail.) >> And finally, HyperKitty is largely unusable without=20 >> JavaScript. If you turn >> off JavaScript, significant portions of the interface just do not work, >> whereas Pipermail was completely free from client-side code. This is a >> regression in browser compatibility and in accessibility. HyperKitty also >> uses cookies, Pipermail does not. > > This is an unreasonable demand. Most of the internet does not function > without JavaScript today. Most of the Internet is broken, so let us break our site too? There are browsers that by design do not handle JavaScript, such as lynx.=20 Such browsers are used in various accessibility-related contexts, as well=20 as in emergency situations. E.g., what if KDE Plasma fails to start up for=20= you, you are stuck in text mode, and you are looking for a solution on KDE=20= mailing lists using lynx? And the JavaScript-heavy stuff does not just require any JavaScript, but=20 tends to require a very recent browser, refusing to work even on maintained=20= LTS branches of browsers, such as QtWebEngine LTS (which is public and FOSS=20= unlike the rest of Qt LTS). Some websites have already started breaking on=20= QtWebEngine 5.15 LTS, e.g.: * the Nextcloud PDF viewer:=20 https://github.com/nextcloud/files_pdfviewer/issues/684 * Discourse:=20 https://forum.manjaro.org/t/new-version-of-discourse-dropped-support-for-qtwe= bengine-5-15-lts/132543 The reasons why they stopped working are pretty spurious in both cases:=20 Nextcloud could trivially (a one-line change) switch to the "legacy" branch=20= of PDF.js which is compatible with many more browsers than the default=20 build (and I also blame PDF.js for not making the "legacy" build the=20 default, the current default build is only suitable for bundling in, e.g.,=20= Firefox and NOT for the web!), and the stricter browser check in Discourse=20= appears to be entirely unnecessary (since it works when I adblock the=20 browser-detection script). If the same were to happen with HyperKitty, that would be a particularly=20 serious issue for KDE mailing lists because Falkon is the official KDE=20 browser and currently stuck on QtWebEngine 5.15 LTS. (Moving to Qt 6 will=20 be needed to get a newer Chromium again, unless someone makes, e.g.,=20 QtWebEngine 6.2 LTS work with Qt 5 somehow.) I do not see how or why it is unreasonable to expect something that has=20 worked without JavaScript for decades to keep working without JavaScript.=20 There are things for which it may be necessary, but displaying static=20 mailing list archives is not. >> Broken links sound like a showstopper to me. [=E2=80=A6] > > openSUSE developed a way to map legacy discussions on mlmmj to > HyperKitty, while Fedora just retained the old Pipemail static pages. > Either works. So either solution would need to be implemented on KDE mailing lists too. Kevin Kofler