List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Koko in KDEReview
From:       Nate Graham <nate () kde ! org>
Date:       2021-05-04 16:09:53

On 5/4/21 8:54 AM, Halla Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 16:26:22 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
>
>> Again, my point was not that everything about GLI is universally better
>> than everything about BZ. Just that most things are mostly better in
>> most ways that most of us care about.
>
> List them? I cannot think of a single thing that's good...

* Far simpler interface means that it's harder to get confused and
accidentally add information in the wrong place
* Inline images makes it much easier to describe a bug visually compared
to BZ where images are attachments that you have to go out of your way
to view in another tab or whatever
* Being able to edit the text allows for the correction of typos and
adding additional information rather than useless extra comments
* Mentioning an issue in another issue automatically creates a link to
it, rendering the "See also" feature of BZ obsolete and removing the
manual chore of having to manually link issues
* Tighter integration with the GitLab Merge Request feature without the
need for a fragile bot
* Tighter integration with other GitLab features such as milestones
* Many more "closes X" keywords are accepted, reducing the chance that a
merge request will try to close a bug report on merge but fail due to
not getting the syntax quite right
* Per-project templates
* One fewer dedicated service for our overstretched sysadmins to host
* Responsive upstream
* Possibility of improvements over time

I could go on for longer if you want, but this is just what I came up
with after a few moments of thinking about it. I won't pretend that GLI
is perfect, and there are unresolved questions regarding how we would
handle something like the "plasmashell" product that aggregates bug
reports for user-facing components that live in many different repos.
The search is less powerful too (though much faster). But let's all try
to have an open mind. I don't think we'll get anywhere if anyone says,
"no way, no how, never ever, over my dead body."

Nate