List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    CMake kauth_install_* with system kauth and user CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2020-10-18 8:11:31

Hey all,

since some time now I'm only compiling parts of KF5 selectively into a custom
prefix. Most notably, I'm only interested in ktexteditor and syntax-
highlighting, and would like to obtain all other frameworks through my
distribution packages.

Sadly, this doesn't work as easily, as ktexteditor is trying to do this:

```
install(TARGETS kauth_ktexteditor_helper DESTINATION $
{KAUTH_HELPER_INSTALL_DIR} )
kauth_install_helper_files(kauth_ktexteditor_helper
org.kde.ktexteditor.katetextbuffer root)
kauth_install_actions(org.kde.ktexteditor.katetextbuffer buffer/
org.kde.ktexteditor.katetextbuffer.actions)
```

Because my KAuth is a system-provided installation, and KTextEditor should be
installed into a user-writable prefix, I get this error on `ninja install`:

```
CMake Error at src/cmake_install.cmake:143 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot copy file
  "/home/milian/projects/kf5/build/frameworks/ktexteditor/src/
org.kde.ktexteditor.katetextbuffer.policy"
  to "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.kde.ktexteditor.katetextbuffer.policy":
  Permission denied.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake_install.cmake:77 (include)
```

I can workaround this by either commenting out the kauth install bits in
ktexteditor or by installing kauth seperately too. But both are in my opinion
not ideal.

I don't think it's currently possible to overwrite the KAuth install directory
at cmake configure time. I would like to change that, unless there is
something I'm missing which would prevent this? I am hoping that any folder
works as long as it's listed in the `XDG_DATA_DIRS` env var - can someone
confirm this?

Thanks

--
Milian Wolff