List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration
From:       Olivier Churlaud <olivier () churlaud ! com>
Date:       2020-04-27 20:49:46

Le 27 avril 2020 22:33:12 GMT+02:00, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley@kde.org> a écrit :
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:31 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > El dilluns, 27 d'abril de 2020, a les 13:19:07 CEST, Ben Cooksley va
> escriure:

> for

> to share

> under one
> have a groups
> https://invent.kde.org/kde/games/knetwalk
> series of
> https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk

> implementing it.

> we
> level will

> items within
> group level
> for
> suggested
> under
> no need to
> subgroup.

> repositories in
> branch [1].
> final

> this next

> https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata.git/tree/projects-invent?h=bshah/invent

> moment
> of the
> the

> graphics? Is

> when

> for discoverability, exactly for the examples Aleix just gave.

> pages were hard to find because hidden under layers of groups. The same
> was true for api documentations. Now everything is flat and I think
> it's easier to find.

> exposing Konsole or Ark as two applications under the KDE umbrella, it
> would look like Utils for KDE, bringing back the KDE Desktop idea
> (where every application is already store in a submenu).

> there is always the search function...
> > >
> > > That requires that you know it exists. We have 1,043 mainline
> > > repositories at the moment, which translates to 53 pages of
> projects
> > > under a flat structure system.
> > > Reality is nobody is going to page through that looking for
> something.
> >
> > But they have gitlab search, don't they?
>
> They do yes.
>

> > I mean it's the solution you told Aleix to figure out if Okular was
> inside graphics or okular.
> >
> > Why is search valid for one case and not for the other?
>
> Because in order to search for something, you need to know it exists.
>
> If you are just casually browsing, then the search can't help you.

I don't think people casually browse our repos. What use case is more likely to \
happen and do we want to support?

Use case 1 : Jerry learns about KDE and go in their forge in the Multimedia section. \
After carefully reading the code of two applications and three libs he starts \
contributing to Elisa.

Use case 2 : While using her Ubuntu installation of Elisa / while reading on reddit \
about Elisa, Jerry decides to try to contribute to this project/fix this bug that \
itches her and searches for it in KDE's forge.

On the other hand, I think the discussion about spotting open merge requests (in a \
derived thread from this one) should be answered, being by relevant tags, subgroups \
or whatever.

Best regards
Olivier