List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Product versions on bugs.kde.org
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2016-03-16 20:40:22

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 7:57 PM, David Faure <faure@kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2016 20:38:43 Vishesh Handa wrote:
>>
>> And from my point of view the user doesn't care if Baloo is part of
>> something called "Frameworks". There is a bug, they want to report it.
>> It's just added noise.
>
> Typically, users report bugs in the app where they see them, and then
> the maintainer of the app reassigns to the "guilty" underlying framework.
>
> E.g. end users don't report kio bugs, they report dolphin bugs, which then
> get reassigned to frameworks-kio.
>
> So I think frameworks-baloo makes sense (and is consistent). The "users"
> of the framework are application developers, who know how to find it in bugzilla.

Except that Baloo isn't just a library. It provides a daemon, and a
CLI search interface. I also know a few people running Baloo on
servers.

This whole "frameworks-baloo" vs "baloo" seems more pedantic than
anything else. Specially considering the amount of overhead this is
actively causing. I just have a crash report from 2 hours ago filed to
Baloo (not Baloo-frameworks). Bug reports against previous versions of
Baloo won't automatically go to this new "baloo-frameworks". And I
have over 130+ new bug emails, which aren't relevant.

I'm all for consistency, but not when it has a real cost.

--
Vishesh Handa