List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Generated files in version control (was: Re: Why is C90 enforced =?iso-8859-1?Q?in_KDE=3F)?=
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-12-07 8:56:23

On Montag, 7. Dezember 2015 01:08:31 CEST, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:

> It will look better to stick my app logo into the real-artist-designed
> piece-of-paper-with-shadow than to draw an icon from scratch...

Afaiu, one should have asked the oxygen team to avoid this kind of patched icons.

> I don't think that's the case. Surely the
> preferred way to modify an icon is to edit the SVG and rasterize it
> again.

Again: that's processing. The required file was the png (since svg icons were \
initially not even supported and even now the Qt svg renderer is completely not up to \
inkscape features extending vanilla svg)

> If you used gimp, you should put your multilayer .xcf

**mööööt** - it's not simply "multilayer", that's just an intermediate result. \
The (hypothetical) icon was forged using several destructive processes to get the \
pixels colorful in the desired way - which are not documented anywhere. It could even \
haven been done in the very same layer or layer merging was one of the required \
process steps. A rastered image really completely rests in itself - no matter what \
tools were used to forge it. A vector editor is just a process detail; the same \
result could have been achieved in MS paint (with a lot of time ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas