List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Ksshaskpass ?
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-12-11 15:43:57

On Thursday 11 December 2014 08:33:48 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> ksshaskspass has been in kdereview and has been improved since it got
> there. Is it ready to be moved to kde/workspace ?

Sorry for being late for the review. I just cloned the repo and did a quick
look for a common problem on X11: the dialog doesn't grab keyboard input.

When a window asks for a password it should make sure that no other X client
intercepts the input. On X11 every other client is able to get to the key
events. Thus the dialog should:
* grab the keyboard when it gets keyboard focus (is active)
* disable entering the password if it failed to grab keyboard and print a
useful message
* release the grab keyboard once it lost focus (e.g. user wants to switch to
browser to check why that wants a password)

While writing that I realized that this is not at all the fault of
ksshaskspass but rather of KPasswordDialog which should implement those
checks. So I wouldn't say it's a blocking issue for a move, though I would
prefer to not get new applications into kde/workspace which aren't secure
against the key logging attacks on X11.

Cheers
Martin