From kde-core-devel Mon Sep 22 08:34:48 2014 From: "Euan Thoms" Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:34:48 +0000 To: kde-core-devel Subject: KIO slaves: fuse moutned remote filesystems treated as local filesystems. Message-Id: <931-541fdf00-1-6b8b4580 () 118504376> X-MARC-Message: https://marc.info/?l=kde-core-devel&m=141146831326253 My question refers to KDE4 specifically, but may be relevant to KDE5 also.

I'm using WebDAV for our corporate roll-out via davfs2 (fuse module for WebDAV). In Dolphin the browsing can be very slow because of 2 things:

(i) the size column gets populated with number of items within (e.g. recursive listing).
(ii) the use of mime magic to determine file type means that with davfs, the whole file is downloaded in order to read the first 10 bytes or so. For a 100MB file, this is extremely inefficient.

Krusader has options that's allows you to turn off mim magic (and rely on file extensions alone), and it doesn't inspect the contents of sub-folders. The net result is much faster browsing through a davfs2 mounted filesystems.

However, Dolphin and KIO in general, is well integrated into KDE. Therefore I would like to firstly; hack kdelibs in 4.10.5 for my corporate rollout. Secondly; perhaps have an option in future versions of KDE4 /5 to disable these clever but inefficient features of KIO.

I noticed that when connecting to WebDAV using the webdav:// KIO slave, the folder size is replaced with "unknown". So how would I go about making the file:// KIO slave behave the same way?

I am browsing throught the kio code, however it is very so[phisticated and therefore complex codebase. So I would appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction.