On Mon, March 31, 2014 11:53 am, Kevin Kofler wrote: > Thiago Macieira wrote: >> Time zone abbreviations are useless, since they are not unique. Simply >> strip them out of your string before passing to QDateTime. > > Nice theory, but there is no other way to know what time this actually is. > Unless you can offer a mapping from latitude and longitude to timezone, or > a way to automatically figure it out from "place name, country" (which is > especially fun for those countries that span multiple time zones, because > the place name can be a small town somewhere). > > I do see the problem, e.g. I get "EST" as the timezone for Sydney, > Australia, which is obviously not the same as the US "EST". I suppose > KDateTime will do the wrong thing for that. :-( > > Maybe we need a (timezone abbreviation, country) → timezone map (and an API > where I can just feed in the time including the abbreviation and the country > name and get a correct QDateTime; heck, for most countries, the abbreviation > could be ignored entirely, it only matters for huge countries such as the > USA or Russia)? They can't just be ignored for small countries, since they may contain a daylight savings time indication. -- David Jarvie. KDE developer. KAlarm author - http://www.astrojar.org.uk/kalarm