On Friday 10 Jan 2014 18:17:48 Thomas L=FCbking wrote: > On Freitag, 10. Januar 2014 11:28:34 CEST, Sebastian K=FCgler wrote: > > with the long > > term support workspace out, so we can recommend people to use > > that, if they're slightly more adventurous, run 4.13 >=20 > I'm not sure whether I understand that - afaiu there will be no works= pace > > 4.11 ever, but other parts (baseapps) etc. proceed - and nepomuk/balo= o > crosses those releases. >=20 > Ie. you'd tell them to > - stay with workspace 4.11.x (x being the release right before the ch= ange to > baloo) and nepomuk and also all other packages of that time (eg. 4.12= .4), > iow. simply stop updating at all or to - stay with workspace pre-balo= o and > only update other parts to baloo versions, what will likely create a = mess > in the semantic desktop stuff or to - just update as usual, accepting= a > potential friction (for clients/features "relying" on lost nepomuk) >=20 > Ie. to either stop updating or be prepeared for migration trouble on = the > semantic desktop front. >=20 > I think what Christoph wanted to say was: > please don't start baloo like what ended nepomuk. >=20 > > Communicated in the right way >=20 > My 2=A2? > Assuming you want to replace nepomuk by baloo in SC4: >=20 > Draw a fat red line. >=20 > Publically announce *now* that the sematic desktop system will get an= > internal update that will preserve general functionality, but is > unfortunately incompatible with the present nepomuk approach. This wi= ll > happen with [release here] in about [n] weeks, what implies to rather= skip > that particular version for productive systems - if you rely on seman= tic > desktop features. >=20 > This was decided to happen now, because KDE SC 4 will continue to be = the > "stable" KDE desktop environment for [estimated time here] and the se= mantic > desktop either needs a major overhaul or is best not used at all, ie.= the > alternative would have been to schedule this for KF5 & PW/2 and decla= re the > "fix" for semantic desktop issues to not use a semantic desktop. >=20 I like this. How should one go about this? Dot article? > There'll be migration tools, but every further KDE SC release will no= t > provide *any* support for nepomuk anymore (beyond ABI compatibility l= ibrary > stubs) If you crucially rely on a clients nepomuk features, you can c= heck > [wiki url] to see whether it's already available in a baloo version -= > otherwise do not update KDE SC beyond that version until it is. >=20 http://community.kde.org/Baloo/NepomukPort > Contrary to other suggestions i can also only recommend to ditch "nep= omuk" > as name to not leave any ambiguity. According to the reasons mentione= d in > this thread ("most hated"), the name is burned anyway, but the main r= eason > is that ppl. talk about semantic desktop features by the term "nepomu= k" and > that will lead to confusion since (if) you cut "legacy" nepomuk suppo= rt > ("nepomuk is running, but does not work in client xyz") So communicat= e that > nepomuk (and support for it) goes, baloo comes, the semantic desktop = idea > stays - just without virtuoso. >=20 +1 for ditching the Nepomuk name. > Publish eg. an interview with Vishesh that outlines the major differe= nces > between nepomuk and baloo and the major benefits of this change. >=20 >=20 >=20 > Cheers, > Thomas --=20 Vishesh Handa