List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-10 17:17:48

On Freitag, 10. Januar 2014 11:28:34 CEST, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> with the long
> term support workspace out, so we can recommend people to use
> that, if they're slightly more adventurous, run 4.13
I'm not sure whether I understand that - afaiu there will be no workspace > 4.11 \
ever, but other parts (baseapps) etc. proceed - and nepomuk/baloo crosses those \
releases.

Ie. you'd tell them to
- stay with workspace 4.11.x (x being the release right before the change to baloo) \
and nepomuk and also all other packages of that time (eg. 4.12.4), iow. simply stop \
                updating at all or to
- stay with workspace pre-baloo and only update other parts to baloo versions, what \
                will likely create a mess in the semantic desktop stuff or to
- just update as usual, accepting a potential friction (for clients/features \
"relying" on lost nepomuk)

Ie. to either stop updating or be prepeared for migration trouble on the semantic \
desktop front.

I think what Christoph wanted to say was:
please don't start baloo like what ended nepomuk.

> Communicated in the right way

My 2 ¢?
Assuming you want to replace nepomuk by baloo in SC4:

   Draw a fat red line.

Publically announce *now* that the sematic desktop system will get an internal update \
that will preserve general functionality, but is unfortunately incompatible with the \
present nepomuk approach. This will happen with [release here] in about [n] weeks, \
what implies to rather skip that particular version for productive systems - if you \
rely on semantic desktop features.

This was decided to happen now, because KDE SC 4 will continue to be the "stable" KDE \
desktop environment for [estimated time here] and the semantic desktop either needs a \
major overhaul or is best not used at all, ie. the alternative would have been to \
schedule this for KF5 & PW/2 and declare the "fix" for semantic desktop issues to not \
use a semantic desktop.

There'll be migration tools, but every further KDE SC release will not provide *any* \
support for nepomuk anymore (beyond ABI compatibility library stubs) If you crucially \
rely on a clients nepomuk features, you can check [wiki url] to see whether it's \
already available in a baloo version - otherwise do not update KDE SC beyond that \
version until it is.

Contrary to other suggestions i can also only recommend to ditch "nepomuk" as name to \
not leave any ambiguity. According to the reasons mentioned in this thread ("most \
hated"), the name is burned anyway, but the main reason is that ppl. talk about \
semantic desktop features by the term "nepomuk" and that will lead to confusion since \
(if) you cut "legacy" nepomuk support ("nepomuk is running, but does not work in \
client xyz") So communicate that nepomuk (and support for it) goes, baloo comes, the \
semantic desktop idea stays - just without virtuoso.

Publish eg. an interview with Vishesh that outlines the major differences between \
nepomuk and baloo and the major benefits of this change.

Cheers,
Thomas