List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: looking for phonon gstreamer maintainer
From:       Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb () videolan ! org>
Date:       2013-10-07 12:36:17

On 04 Oct, Daniel Vrátil wrote :
> in Fedora we have a big interest in keeping phonon-gstreamer alive, namely
> because we can't ship phonon-vlc due to legal issues (you know, US company,
> software patents and what not...) and our users would not probably be very

This is a bit untrue, tbh and at the limit of FUD.

libVLC and libVLCcore are not more patent-encumbered than
gstreamer-core.

VLC, phonon-VLC and libVLC are based on modules loaded at runtime, like
gstreamer, QT, DShow and other multimedia frameworks (a contrario from
all-included players like mplayer)
Shipping a version without problematic modules is very doable and has
already been done.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf