On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > thanks for the swift and excellent response! muchly appreciated ... > > On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 15:00:43 Harald Sitter wrote: >> d) at some point port to phonon5 > > would it at all make sense to see if we can resuscitate this backend by just > going straight to (d)? does it make sense to port the existing code, or would > a start from scratch make sense? Starting from scratch is certainly a viable option. Going straight to d would not solve the problem for Phonon4, or Qt4 for that matter as Phonon5 is supposed to be exclusively Qt5. However from a backend POV there is not going to be a whole lot difference between the two versions as Phonon5's key element is getting rid of pointless API dynamics and through that simplifying the frontend API (like not having a mediagraph where in theory one could order nodes in any order and something reasonable should come out at the end). The heavy lifting code of setting a source, building a pipeline and making it create output should be largely the same. I personally would go for a rewrite but at the same time I am also very confident that starting from the existing code base would yield success. Torrie Fischer already rewrote a lot of the pipeline building and control logic a while ago, so it is most certainly not as bad as it used to be. At the very least there is stuff that can be salvaged for a possible rewrite. > given all the downsides to not having a *good* gstreamer 1.0 backend in your > report, this seems like a pretty important item. particularly for those of us > looking to bring software to mobile devices where having multiple media > middleware is not an awesome solution. There definitely are solid reasons for having a GStreamer backend, otherwise it would have gotten the boot like all the other broken backends years ago. While I had not originally thought of mobile devices, it certainly has even greater importance there. Regardless of the device though it would be a shame to loose the backend, so I really hope someone who enjoys HD videos steps up and volunteers to make software to play them (better) :) HS