List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Releases in 3 months
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2013-07-10 13:22:20

On 2013-07-09, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> So. first one.
Second one

Release frequency.

We have a giant quality problem. Distros won't ship a .0 release to real
users (as opposed to testers/power users) and wait until there has been
a couple of bug fix releases. Until we ensure that our .0 releases are
usable I don't see how we can cut down on that.

Some distros release in a 6 month cycle. Others in a 8. and ones even in
longer cycles. Going for anything shorter than 6 months will ensure that
distros are going to skip releases. why work with releases that they
aren't going to ship to users anyways?

And given there need to be some stabilization and integration work, I'm
sure skipping releases would be the default for most distros. Hopefully
distros can coordinate and at least skip the same. Mostly leading to the
other releases being useless because they only reach very few users.

So, more work for most people, but no one gains.

And as it currently is, we need the .4 and .5 releases.

/Sune