On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:52:04 PM =C0lex Fiestas wrote: > On Tuesday 09 July 2013 06:43:48 Scott Kitterman wrote: > > I want the point releases. The reasons for wanting them are for > > consistency, marketing, and for distro policy releases its' much ea= sier to > > get a set of packages that are part of a release through the post d= istro > > release QA process than a set of indiviual changes. Also, as a pra= tical > > matter, we manage to find the volunteer motivation to package a poi= nt > > release, but only rarely for individual changes. I don't think it = would > > help much. >=20 > We can have as many point releases as needed, in any version as long = as > there is somebody doing the backporting and the testing. >=20 > The reality, even nowdays is that even though we do backports almost = nobody > is testing the stable branch (and some people even forget to do backp= orts). > So we end up having point releases that are less stable than their > predecessors. >=20 > So, in anyway (independently of 3 or 6 months release schedule) we ne= ed a > better way of doing minor releases. >=20 > > A related point is KDE support policy. AIUI, currently KDE will pr= ovide > > security support for the previous two releases. After that, distro= s are > > on > > their own. Did you envision that changing to four with this propos= al? If > > not, you're cutting my upstream security support in half. >=20 > I was not aware of this, I'm sure we can include it. >=20 > > I would like to figure out something about a better way to test poi= nt > > releases and be able to do them more reliably/longer. I'll think a= bout > > it. > >=20 > > I do think this has to be addressed in some manner before going to= your > >=20 > > proposed schedule. >=20 > As i said before, we need the interested parties to do the backportin= g and > the testing, you are the ones that know what is bothering your users.= >=20 > We also need to do a better work on making your life easier, use bugz= illa > correctly, commit tags etc. We (not me, someone else working on Kubuntu) solved a longstanding ridd= le in=20 our build infrastructure that was blocking having regular builds of the= stable=20 branches. We're looking into the possibility of providing tip of stabl= e=20 packages that would make it easier for our users to test the stable bra= nch. =20 If we can get better testing and upstream developers do a good job of l= anding=20 suitable fixes, then it ought to be mostly a matter of the KDE release = team=20 being willing to do the releasing. Scott K