List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Proposed web shortcut changes
From:       Maarten De Meyer <de.meyer.maarten () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-29 21:40:31

Hi everybody,

I have gone through and and tested most (if not all) of the default
web shortcuts in kde-runtime. These are my proposed changes and notes
to fix the broken ones.
Warning: long mail!

1. Most of the shortcuts that were no longer working only needed an updated url.

Amg: http://www.allmusic.com/search/all/\\{@}
backports: http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=squeeze-backports&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=\\{@}
  note: This is rather distro specific so maybe this should be
included downstream?
CIA: https://www.cia.gov/search?q=\\{@}&site=WORLD_FACTBOOK&btnG=Search&client=CIA&myAction=/search&proxystylesheet=CIA&submitMethod=get&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&ud=1

citeseer: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/search?q=\\{@}&submit=Search&sort=rlv&t=doc
CTAN Catalog: http://ctan.org/search?phrase=\\{@}
Feedster: http://www.feedster.com/index.php?page=search/web&type=Web&search=\\{@}
foldoc: http://foldoc.org/\\{@}
Google images: https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=\\{@}
    note: Not broken but now uses https.
Google movies: http://www.google.com/search?q=\\{@}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
jamendo: http://www.jamendo.com/en/search?qs=q=test
metacrawler: http://www.metacrawler.com/info.metac.cloud.other/search/web?q=\\{@}
msdn: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=\\{@}
nl-telephone: http://www.detelefoongids.nl/\\{1}/\\{2}/10-1/?oWhat=\\{1}&oWhere=\\{2}
    note: 1 = name, 2 = loacation Why is this only for the
netherlands? Perhaps make this into a more international service. With
the localised query's using different sites.
python: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=python-search&q=\\{@}&submit=Search&q=site%3Apython.org
  note: Not broken, changed to https
Qt: http://qt-project.org/doc/search/qt-5.0?search=\\{@}
    Do we need an extra qt4 documentation shortcut? (Qt3 is removed)
rfc: http://tools.ietf.org/id/\\{@}
technorati: http://technorati.com/search?return=sites&authority=high&q=\\{@}
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/search?q=\\{@}

2. These are the shortcuts that have moved to a new website. Instead
or renaming it will be easier to remove the old ones and add the new
site.

acronym
The chemical acronyms on http://www.chemeurope.com/en/tools/ are no
longer accessible using the url.
A good alternative is http://www.abbreviations.com/\\{@} It offers
acronyms for chemical elements and lots of other words.
Disadvantages: Lots of in-your-face adds, not translabable from the url

freshmeat
Freshmeat has been renamed freecode.
http://freecode.com/search?q=\\{@}

froogle
Froogle has been renamed google product search and renamed again to
google shopping. :)
Removed froogle.desktop and added google shopping.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=\\{@}

KDE WebSVN
Svn usage in KDE is on it's way out, maybe we can reflect that in the
web shortcuts.
I propose to remove websvn and replace it with the KDE Projects site.
https://projects.kde.org/search?projects=1&q=rekonq
note: websvn is a bit hard to use but not broken, we could keep it AND
include KDEprojects.

OpenPGP Key Search
The origianal domain was not working, changed to pgp.mit.edu. There
are others available, not sure on which one is best.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=\\{@}&op=vindex

3. Some of the shortcuts lead to websites that are no longer active,
are sold or have no working search function. These should be removed.

Altavista
The altavista search has been replased by yahoo. It's just yahoo with
an altavista logo.
We could update the query but I propose to remove it.

Austronaut
The website is for sale. http://austronaut.at/

Gracenote
I cannot find the web search, only an api is available.

KataTudo
Both the website and the search function are broken. http://www.katatudo.com.br/

opendesktop kde-look kde-apps
The search is not working correctly and cannot be changed because it
is handled using POST.
I have contacted Frank Karlitschek to see if this might be fixed server side.
If not these will remain broken and should be removed imo.

Qt3
Qt5 was released recently, it's time to let go :)

vivisimo
sold to IBM.

Thank you if you read this far, please share any feedback you have.
Questions:
If people agree with the proposed changes is it ok to put it in one
big patch on reviewboard? I first wanted to get some comments using
the mailing list.
Some shortcuts offer revenue sharing with KDE. Can a developer not
associated with KDE ev. make these 'deals'? I think amazon offers
something like that..

Thank you
Maarten De Meyer