List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Password strengh meter in KNewPasswordDialog
From:       Christoph Feck <christoph () maxiom ! de>
Date:       2013-04-04 7:22:46

"!@#$%^&*abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxwyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123
> > 456789", I get:
> >
> > Out of ten, only three got all four types of characters. All
> > *ten* got a score lower than 75, which is your threshold for the
> > green colour.
>
> There are 5 types of characters (also in the old algorithm):
> Uppercase, lowercase vowel, lowercase consonant, digits, and
> specials. You are right, and indeed there are 2 changes to the
> algorith that I do: penalize sequences and penalize too few types.
> Especially the later part may need some tweaks. From my point of
> view there is no need to divide lowercase characters in 2 classes,
> in an earlier version of my patch I even removed this.

The distinction between vowels and consonants has been added to try to
detect normal words. The password "kgnlhtbm" should have a higher
score compared to "pibatero". In the latter, the changes between
vowels and consonants make it look like a word (even it isn't, at
least not in any language I know).

> > I generated 100 10-character passwords by base64 encoding
> > /dev/urandom. With the old algorithm, 65% of the passwords were
> > 100 points, 20% more between 90 and 99 and 10% between 80 and
> > 89. With the new algorithm, only 14 passwords got 100 points,
> > 21% are between 80 and 99 and 40% of them are between 70 and 79
> > points. There was even one entry that got 30 points.
> >
> > I have to increase the password length to 14 characters to 65% of
> > 100 points. And they're all random.
>
> I have changed my algorithm in some ways and rechecked: removed
> vowel class, divide by one less than we have character classes,
> and both. Then your random passwords give better results with the
> new algorithm, sometimes even better than with the old one. There
> are a few exceptions (qbF\FdHCy, U2WVF9kLH) that still score worse
> with the new algorithm. One of them has no digit, the other no
> special, so I am not surprised as there are very few transitions
> between character classes in them.
>
> So, yes, you are absolutely right. Suggestions about how to improve
> that absolutely welcome.
>
> Eike

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)
KDE Quality Team