List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE SC 4.8.4 important problems
From:       José_Manuel_Santamaría_Lema <panfaust () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-10 1:23:04

Hello,

firstly, to be honest, let me say I'm doing huge effort to write this mail in a
way that I don't look like a clueless cretin who reports bugs to the mailing
lists instead of the proper place (bugs.kde.org) just to "cheat" and get "my"
bugs fixed. I promise I'm not that kind of person, I have a git/svn KDE account
and I'm already doing a very modest contribution. In my honest opinion I know
a bit how things work in KDE with regarding to the bug reporting stuff.

Also I'm packaging KDE for Debian in a team collaborating with other people
since some time ago (I've been involved in 4.5.x, 4.6.x, 4.7.x and 4.8.x) and
that's why I am writing here: when testing the latest point release of KDE SC
(4.8.4), we are getting several crashes, and most of them are the kind of bugs
(called release-critical in Debian) which would prevent us to release packages
in the next stable release or migrate them to the "testing" branch.

Most of these crashes follow this pattern (sorry for the vagueness, I
hope to gather more information this night or so, I'll try to keep you posted
but I can't promise anything):
1. Can't be reproduced with Nepomuk disabled.
2. Can't be reproduced with kdelibs 4.8.3
3. Can't be reproduced with KDE SC 4.9.
4. Could also be reproduced by various users and developers from other
distributions.
5. They are not 100% reproducible; however they happen everytime in some
computers, on others just very often; so often that make certain KDE programs
unusuable.
6. I _feel_ backtraces might be invalid.

Since I have been packaging KDE (more or less since 4.5 as said above) I never
got 7 potential RC bugs in a release (not even a .0 one) after just ~2 days of
use. Read again the characteristics 2. 3. and .4; that in conjunction with the
fact that some people just discovered today how you are managing git
branches/freeze for kdelibs (myself included) is why I think we are getting
some people in other thread questioning -with or without reason- the kdelibs
development model. I don't want to discuss the kdelibs development model in
this thread (I would really prefer to keep any possible "omfg kdelibs
developers are using the same branch for 4.9 and 4.8" messages in the other
thread) I'm just explaining the situation, I hope you get now why you are
reading the things you are reading in the other thread.

That being said, in this thread I want to focus on the actual grave problem(s)
of 4.8.4, this is the list of crashes I have been experiencing:

#1 dolphin:
I can reproduce it right now in one of my computers just opening it, in other
sometimes it crashes just clicking a file or folder. Eshat Cakar -a fellow
Debian packager- also got other crash just clicking a folder, however he can't
reproduce it anymore after he rebooted his computer.
Backtraces:
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/bug_dolphin_santa.kcrash.
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/bug_dolphin_eshat.txt

#2 gwenview
I can reproduce it just clicking an image and sometimes even just starting the
application.
Backtrace:
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/bug_gwenview_santa.kcrash

#3 kontact executing the kaddressbook component
I can reproduce it very oftenly just clicking the kaddressbok component in
kontact.
Backtrace:
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/bug_kontact_santa.kcrash

#4 kmail executed outside kontact
I can reproduce it just executing kmail outside kontact
Backtrace:
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/bug_kmail_santa.kcrash

#5 kmail marking messages as read
I think this one got fixed by a commit in kdepimlibs, which I included in the
debian packaging. Please ignore for now.

#6 kontact executing various components: calendar, to-do list, journal
When clicking on various kontact component I'm getting a segmentation fault,
always with the same backtrace:
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/bug2_kontact_santa.kcrash

#7 kmail links
I can reproduce this one just opening a message with an url. Just clicking
that url, which would it open it in konqueror given my local configuration
crashes kmail:
Backtrace:
http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/4.8.4_crashes/kmail_links.kcrash