List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: i18n: drop KUIT tags in KDE Frameworks 5.0?
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2012-03-23 13:17:43

> [: Allen Winter :]
> Personally, I have put a lot of time and effort into adding KUIT into my
> projects over the years and think it is a great help, even if just for the
> developers to understand how the strings are being used.

I hope we had a small misunderstanding here. David's earlier message was
precisely to clear that up.

What I want to remove are only in-text tags (like <filename>, <emphasis>,
etc). In-context markers (like @action:button, @option:check, etc) would
certainly remain. There is no technical reason to remove them, and they are
used much more than tags. E.g. in kdepim and kdepimlibs, 16.7% of all
messages have context markers, whereas 1.7% have text tags (6.4%/0.6% for
whole of "trunk"). In fact, context markers can be used as-is in any i18n
system with Gettext-like lookup key semantics.

Is it sufficiently less bad now, or should I address your other points? :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)