List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Color Managing KDE
From:       Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b () gmx ! de>
Date:       2012-02-23 5:18:36

"Martin Gräßlin" <mgraesslin@kde.org> schrieb:
> Am 22.02.2012 20:01, schrieb Kai-Uwe Behrmann:
> > Am 22.02.12, 09:38 -0800 schrieb Daniel Nicoletti:
> > > As Richard said Oyranos is doing all this by it self on the CPU so
> > > it
> > > would act like a proxy between your application,
> > > and the window manager which sounds like killing performance.
> > > ( I might have misunderstood but I can't see any other way of doing
> > > this)
> >
> > Proxy are configurable by applications as usual.
> > Oyranos is used inside a Compiz plugin as the actual only desktop
> > colour server.
> > That does very power efficient and fast colour correction on the GPU
> > through GL shaders. Users can watch colour corrected animations,
> > movies and 3D scenes full screen with that.
> Just a short reminder that Compiz is no solution for the KDE Plasma
> Workspaces, as
>
> a) our solution for window and compositing is KWin
> b) using Compiz means loss in core functionality provided by the KDE
> Plasma Workspaces
> c) to my knowledge the plugin does not work with recent versions of
> Compiz (aka Compiz++, Compiz 0.9)
> d) distributions are starting to drop Compiz
> e) Compiz development has been adjusted to only suit the Unity desktop
> and has been proclaimed as dead on the Internet
>
> adding support to that in KWin should be fairly easy though I have no
> clue about it and also no time for it.

We had recently a discussion on the wayland channel. The result does in effect simplify colour management \
for compositors. A KWin GSoC project was added to the OpenICC ideas page. Advice from KWin developers \
during such a project would be highly appreciated.

I blogged with some more details about the X Color Management protocol, which can be implemented inside \
KWin: http://www.oyranos.org/2012/02/x-color-management-0-4-draft1/

kind regards
Kai-Uwe