List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Color Managing KDE
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-02-22 11:30:05

On Wednesday 22 February 2012 Feb, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> A Quarta, 22 de Fevereiro de 2012 10:46:53 Richard Hughes vocĂȘ escreveu:
> > First, I apologise about the cross posting. Please drop any list which
> > isn't relevant in your replies, and please also cc me as I'm not
> > subscribed to either list.
> >
> > GNOME has been a color managed desktop by default for two releases
> > now, and I deliberately designed colord to have an open Freedesktop
> > DBus API that could be used by both desktops. Really, KDE just has to
> > include a KCM module to do the 6 things on this list and also perhaps
> > include a simple control center panel to configure it.
> >
> > Basically, I need a KDE dude. Of course, I can help quite a lot and
> > mentor the project, but I've never really coded Qt or C++ in anger, so
> > to speak. If you're interested, I could maybe even set up a Google
> > summer of code place as well, although I'd prefer it to be an existing
> > person familiar with the KDE community so there is some ongoing
> > maintainer.
> >
> > If anybody is interested, let me know and I'll set up a meeting and we
> > can talk and discuss details. Thanks.
> >
> > Richard Hughes
>
> Use case here I want this :D, please guys help Richard. Yill make you free
> icons :D and mybe pay you a beer or 2.

While I agree that KDE needs colormanagement built-in, especially with artists moving to KDE (I get \
almost no bug reports for Krita from gnome users anymore, while that used to be the majority...) it's not \
like nothing has been done before for KDE:

Especially:

http://www.oyranos.org/2011/11/kde-and-colour-management/
http://www.oyranos.org/kolormanager/

which are now, afaik, being used in OpenSUSE. There's quite a bit of contentiousness between around this \
topic, and I have to say, while I don't get the technical differences all the time, I do understand the \
friction I see happening on, e.g., the openicc mailing list.

With all the respect I feel for Richard, I do think that this is yet another of those technologies that \
get developed in splendid isolation for Gnome, forced upon the Linux world by Redhat, claimed to be a \
standard and which is then used to complain about KDE's lack of involvement yet again. It makes me feel a \
bit unhappy.

--
Boudewijn Rempt