List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New Feature for kdelibs (Was: The case for a kdelibs 4.8)
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-11-09 19:05:33

On Wednesday, November 9, 2011 17:53:58 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> But it will be not before Qt 5.0.

the question is "how long after", and the best answer is "as little delay as
possible". Qt 5.0 is scheduled for some time in 2012.

> Personally, I don't have a problem if not too many people work on the

personally, i do. there is lots of work to be done that doesn't require
waiting on the build system changes.

if we serialize on "build system" -> "modularize" -> "modernize where needed"
we'll be lucky to have something out for 2014, forget 2012.

to remind us of history: remember how some figured we might just skip doing a
3.4 release? then we recanted (and that time for good reasons, as Qt4 was a
rocky path) and did a 3.4 .. and then 3.5 .. and then lots of 3.5.x releases
with fewer good reasons to do so, slowing down development of the 4.x series.

i know i sound like a broken record here: we should learn from the past rather
than repeat it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se