List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Development] Fwd: [Boost-users] [C++ Now! 2012] Call for
From:       Joćo_Abecasis <joao.abecasis () nokia ! com>
Date:       2011-10-31 9:23:12

Hello people,

I have been to two BoostCon's so far and have friends in that community. Hartmut \
being one of them ;-)

The last time I was there, in 2010, I gave a high-level talk on bridging Boost and \
Qt. In general, I think the Boost community is very open to this kind of things and \
most of all people interested in contributing code and work -- as are we!

I can also see why they'd want to generalize the theme of the conference since it has \
always been very much about C++, present and future. The conference is usually highly \
technical in nature driven by and for developers, being accommodating for the C++ \
gurus and the rest of us. The ones I attended included a lot of Boost, but also a lot \
of more generic C++ stuff, like clang and visual studio presented by its \
*developers*, research being done in transactional memory and proposals to add TM \
semantics to the standard.

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Sounds interesting to be present and discuss with the Boost developers ways to
> improve collaboration. Maybe someone will finally convince them to maintain
> binary compatibility so their libraries could become *actually* useful as part
> of a larger API...

Can we similarly be convinced to adopt generic programming practices? Actually we \
are... we just keep re-inventing their wheels ;-)

I think the important question is not necessarily binary compatibility. I, for one, \
would love to be able to just *use* Boost inside Qt, in particular source-only \
libraries. As long as we don't touch it in our binary interface the lack of BC \
promise shouldn't affect us. Think TR1 and C++11-features available with legacy \
compilers.

But anyway, that's a big flame-war about to happen ;-)

> The discussions about C++11 and how to make the best use of the new features
> are also interesting.
>
> However, despite the change of name, the conference is still a Boost
> conference, at least according to the email you sent. There was absolutely no
> opening in the text for any C++ library, other than Boost and how those other
> libraries could interoperate with it.

Boost is a peer-reviewed collection of libraries. There are constantly new libraries \
being developed and trying to be part of the official distribution. In that sense, \
"Boost" is a very loose definition that can easily include a "Boost Qt \
Interoperability Library" or the effort to build that bridge -- both ways.

> If someone knows these people and can ask them if they are interested in
> opening up some more, I guess the Qt community would be more interested in the
> conference.

I can be a middleman, if one is needed.

Cheers,

Joćo