On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 04:47:54PM +0200, Dario Freddi wrote: > 2011/10/12 Martin Gräßlin : > > ok I have been thinking about it and have a new proposal: > > * writing a kded module to only handle the screen locking (grab keyboard and > > mouse) > > TBH, if you really care about not making the thing crash, I would not > put it into KDED, which has a lot of things which are not under your > control potentially crashy, but into a separate running daemon. > my first thought, too. :} > > * having greeter in a separate process, so that the kded module can restart > > the greeter in case it crashes > > * use xproperty on all greeter windows to inform the compositor which windows > > belong to it > i'm assuming you are including the locker/saver window in "greeter windows"? > > * use a kwin effect to additionally ensure that the screen is > > blanked and nothing gets above the greeter windows > > that seems superfluous. the presence of the locker window simultaneously indicates "locker mode" and provides "blanking content" (rendered by an out-of-process hack and blanked in-process as a fallback). when that goes away unexpectedly, all bets are off anyway.