List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The case for a kdelibs 4.8
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2011-10-01 10:17:13

Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Have you actually tried to get the fedora patches into the 3.5 branch? I
> cannot remember any discussion about it on kcd...
>
> Even if upstream would say no to the feautures what is wrong with doing a
> distro-3.5 branch so that at least all distros can have the same patches?

Distributions work from tarballs and patches, not checkouts, so a branch
won't help us all that much if no releases are being done from it. Sure, we
can take snapshots, but we can also just patch the last release.

And FWIW, these days, in Fedora, apart from the patches we've already had
for years (such as that Hunspell patch), we're only applying compilation and
security fixes to kdelibs3. I doubt we'll need anything else at this point.
The KDE 3 libs are now very old. The situation is different for kdelibs 4.x
though.

        Kevin Kofler