List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: The case for a kdelibs 4.8
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-10-01 6:27:02

On Saturday 01 October 2011 00:12:05 Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Freitag, 30. September 2011, 10:07:27 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > will say "Platform 4.7, Plasma
> > Workspaces 4.8 and application updates" (or something along those lines).
> > that  was not just a marketing ploy, but an attempt to align our public
> > communication with the realities that already existed in KDE development.
>
> I hope I am not the first to note that this sounds really horrible.
>
> Take this message:
>
> 	KDE releases 4.8: Platform and Workspaces got some spectacular changes,
> while applications received much polish.
>
> In a blog, this becomes
>
> 	YAY! KDE releases 4.8!
>
> Take your example. It becomes:
>
> 	Plasma 4.8 released!
>
> Well, where is KDE in that? Suddenly the community it is all about becomes a
> sidenote.
> And a newspaper will likely only see "hm, some stuff our readers won't
> understand" instead of "new version of the tools from KDE!"
>
> There is a reason why Apple releases MacOSX 10.8 and not "Xcode 4.1, Apple
> Mach 1.3, Quartz 4.7, …"
One of the main reasons for the rebranding was to realize that "KDE" is not one \
product, but a community that  produces multiple products among them a desktop \
environment (Plasma). What you just try to tell us is that the  complete rebranding \
is nonsense and we should go back to talking just about KDE for everything bringing \
the users  back to assuming they need Plasma in order to use KMail.

I really like the fact that finally we have a release where it will be clear that KDE \
is the community and not one large  product. All those who did not get it yet, might \
finally understand it if we write a really good release announcement.

Cheers
Martin