Hello Ben, On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 20:21 +1200, Ben Cooksley wrote: > To all concerned developers, > > As you may or may not be aware, the name "System Settings" for an > application is currently in use by KDE. A recent renaming by your > GNOME control center developers to this name creates a naming > conflict. This naming conflict will cause severe problems for users as > a result. It will also cause problems for those members of the KDE > Community supporting the usage of KDE applications on GNOME, as it > will not be possible to adjust the settings used by KDE applications. > > This will be because they will both appear, leading to GNOME > packagers stupidly patching the system to not show the KDE System > Settings under GNOME. > > As KDE occupied this name first, it is ours as a result, and I will > NOT be relinquishing it to satisfy your personal (selfish) desires, > which will cause numerous problems for users on both sides. > System Settings cannot just be shown on KDE, as the application is > used to configure multiple settings shared between KDE applications > such as Localisation (language, region, currency, calendar), Style, > Colours, Fonts among others. > > As KDE System Settings maintainer, I request that you immediately > rename it once again to another name which is not in conflict. I believe the problem was resolved without requiring any changes on the GNOME side (from reading the thread). Let me know if there's still things you think should be discussed. Cheers /One of the gnome-control-center maintainers back from holidays