List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"
From:       Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-25 13:01:38

Hi Mark,

Yes, you are right about the X- part. However, I now think that the
Freedesktop specification could be extended in a more generic way. I
suggest updating the spec such that any (!) non-(-X) key of form (for
example)

Specific-<DE>-<Key>=<Value>

is to be interpreted as <Key>=Value, in the environment called <DE>,
possibly overriding the generic definition of this key. Such an
extension would allow any attribute to have DE-specific values, not
just the name. For example, GenericName, and even Exec (for
DE-specific su maybe?).

A desktop file would then look like:

Name=System Settings
Specific-KDE-Name=KDE System Settings