On 23 July 2011 15:20, Ambroz Bizjak wrote: > Mark wrote: >> Just a small suggestion on how i think this should be "fixed" (since 2 >> desktop files for one app seems just ugly to me). >> Perhaps it's better to extend the desktop file specification: >> http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html >> >> And i would propose adding 2 entries: >> NativeDE - This one holds the desktop environment name where the app >> would be "native". So GNOME, KDE or whatever. >> NameNonNative - This one holds the app name when it's shown in a >> desktop environment that is not native. When not set fallback to >> "Name" >> >> So for example the "System Settings" app in KDE looks somewhat like >> this in a .desktop file: >> >> Name=System Settings >> NativeDE=KDE >> NameNonNative=KDE System Settings >> >> The same applies for gnome system settings and also for the system >> monitor (that also has the naming issue) >> Isn't this a good solution? >> >> Regards, >> Mark > > I think this is the right idea - have a generic name and a > native-desktop-specific name. But I think it could be implemented more > nicely. I suggest the following: > > Name=KDE System Settings > KDE-Name=System Settings > > Name=Gnome System Settings > Gnome-Name=System Settings > > This would be a little easier to implement, and has the advantage that > the non-native name will be used for any DE that doesn't specifically > know about the "extension". For example, in Xfce, you will get "KDE > System Settings" and "Gnome System Settings" without Xfce having to > implement anything; with Mark's suggestion however, Xfce would give > you two "System Settings" until it was patched. I agree completely. And with Lorenz idea (and other's idea) to have a unified backend that offers one control panel/system settings this problem can be solved and interoperability between different DE's can be made more efficient. The only point that I would like to add is that the 'System' part of System Settings should be dropped since the settings listed there are not for the system but for the DE('s).