List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"
From:       Aurélien Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-07-24 20:17:07

Le 24/07/2011 17:11, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
> GTK+ applications use the XSETTINGS keys:
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/xsettings-spec/xsettings-spec-0.5.html
>
> so every key that is shared using that specification is picked up
> automatically by GTK+ applications.
>
> we can definitely talk about extending the set of shared keys: we
> routinely do that on xdg-list -- for instance when the sound theme
> spec was introduced.

The spec does not provide a list of shared keys, does such a list exist?
If there is no such list I don't see how we could share anything.

I don't know what is shared right now but it is definitely not enough: a
GTK application running on a KDE workspace does not follow KDE
keybindings, palette, fonts, icon theme, label alignment or dialog
button order.

Additionally I don't believe a shared keys system is enough to share a
widget theme. Otherwise the Oxygen devs probably wouldn't have created
the Oxygen GTK theme.

>> Do they use kwallet instead of gnome-keyring?
>
> applications using the org.freedesktop.Secrets API will ask for the
> well-known bus name, and get to talk to the daemon implementing it;
> that means using the gnome-keyring daemon or kwallet, depending on
> which is installed. the same mechanism of auto-activation is used for
> many other things.

Unfortunately kwallet does not implement org.freedesktop.Secrets yet as
far as I understand it. I was also under the impression that the spec
was not ready, since its version number is "0.1 DRAFT".

Aurélien