On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Dodji Seketeli wrote: > Emmanuele Bassi a écrit: > >> On 2011-07-23 at 11:27, Dodji Seketeli wrote: >>> Why?  Do you have an example that would show where Shaun's proposal >>> falls short? >> >> it falls short in showing: >> >>   System Settings >>   KDE System Settings >> >> under Gnome, and: >> >>   System Settings >>   Gnome System Settings >> >> under KDE. > > Oh, I see. > >> the real solution is to make it unnecessary (or even conflicting) to >> install the KDE system settings shell under a Gnome environment, and the >> Gnome system settings under a KDE environment; > > That would be a more elegant situation, IMO. > > >> these are configuring the system settings, and you can hardly have two >> systems running at the same time on the same machine. > > Agreed. > >> applications should not be configured through the *system* settings; >> and both system settings shell should configure the same services. > > This makes sense to me. > >>> You don't say why these would better address the issue "here and now" in >>> comparison with what Shaun is proposing. >> >> there is no "here and now" — that would be a hack. I hardly think we >> have to solve this *quickly*, so we should solve it correctly. > > My point was to have the options written down and have interested people > explicitly say why a particular point is valid or not, rather than just > bluntly dismissing someone's point as being a non-solution without > providing rationale. > > As for the "here and now", I don't personally perceive this issue as > urgent as I use GNOME only.  But I could imagine that some people do. Just a small suggestion on how i think this should be "fixed" (since 2 desktop files for one app seems just ugly to me). Perhaps it's better to extend the desktop file specification: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html And i would propose adding 2 entries: NativeDE - This one holds the desktop environment name where the app would be "native". So GNOME, KDE or whatever. NameNonNative - This one holds the app name when it's shown in a desktop environment that is not native. When not set fallback to "Name" So for example the "System Settings" app in KDE looks somewhat like this in a .desktop file: Name=System Settings NativeDE=KDE NameNonNative=KDE System Settings The same applies for gnome system settings and also for the system monitor (that also has the naming issue) Isn't this a good solution? Regards, Mark