List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System
From:       Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-23 10:33:44

On 2011-07-23 at 11:27, Dodji Seketeli wrote:
> Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen@gmail.com> a écrit:
>
> > I don't think Shauns proposal addresses the issue, really.
>
> Why?  Do you have an example that would show where Shaun's proposal
> falls short?

it falls short in showing:

  System Settings
  KDE System Settings

under Gnome, and:

  System Settings
  Gnome System Settings

under KDE.

now, if you got a computer without having it installed yourself, and you
read the applications list, do you know what "KDE" or "Gnome" are?

this is a non-solution, and an abdication of responsibility.

the real solution is to make it unnecessary (or even conflicting) to
install the KDE system settings shell under a Gnome environment, and the
Gnome system settings under a KDE environment; these are configuring the
system settings, and you can hardly have two systems running at the same
time on the same machine.

applications should not be configured through the *system* settings; and
both system settings shell should configure the same services.

> > If you want an app to be usable in different environments, then there
> > are some good solutions:
> > - make sure the app is self-contained and manages all of its settings itself
> > - make your app smart enough to pick up the relevant settings from the
> > different environments you want to support
> >
> > And there are bad solutions, including:
> > - making the app drag along half of its original environment, via dependencies
>
> You don't say why these would better address the issue "here and now" in
> comparison with what Shaun is proposing.

there is no "here and now" — that would be a hack. I hardly think we
have to solve this *quickly*, so we should solve it correctly.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name