List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"
From:       Sergey Udaltsov <sergey.udaltsov () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-23 0:50:06

> This is what happens when you mix and match bits and pieces from
> different operating systems. There is really not much that can be done
> about it. Since that is what both KDE and GNOME are trying to do:
> build complete, self-contained systems.
So far we are running the same OS (for most of us it is Linux, but it
can be Solaris or *BSD). DE != OS. And the system can be multiuser -
which sometimes means both KDE and GNOME can be present in the same
installation. Also, some, especially semi-professional apps are not
going to be duplicated in both environments (I am not talking about
text editors or calculators) - so there are relatively high chances
that the user would need both sets of settings, for KDE and GNOME (in
that sense having ShowOnlyIn can be a bad idea - some "foreign" apps
would become not configurable).

The best idea really would be to define the mechanism of feeding the
settings into "foreign" apps. Both directions, GNOME (desktop) ->KDE
(apps) and KDE (desktop) -> GNOME (apps). If we have that, in addition
to ShowOnlyIn, user could never notice that the system has two
variants of "System Settings". The only problem with that approach is
that some settings can be defined only in one DE. In that case, sane
default values could be the only choice..

Sergey