On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:17:17AM +1200, Ben Cooksley wrote: > > > > Now lets go into something more productive and perhaps we can fix this > > before the sunny Desktop Summit. > > Hi Olav, > > In terms of being productive surrounding this, I have several questions: > > Screenshots on your live wiki indicate that GNOME developers were > aware of the use of the "System Settings" name by KDE. Why did your > developers deliberately proceed with the use of this name, knowing it > would cause a conflict? (This was the primary reason why I was > particularly angry about the discovery of your use of this name) I don't own any developers, nor am I a GNOME developer (see end of the email for list of the things I do for GNOME). This said, I think it was already mentioned that 'System Settings' was purposely limited to GNOME and later Unity. So care was taken to ensure KDE would not have a confusing menu entry. The rest I'd guess is either oversight, different assumptions or just lack of time. > Is there any reason why it cannot be renamed once more as soon as is > possible so that the next release your team makes fixes this issue? This has been explained already I think. Be aware that I don't have any team. > I would prefer to resolve this issue as soon as possible, to minimise > the work packagers will inevitably do to block KDE System Settings > under GNOME, and the resulting KDE application user support issues > that will arise. I think I explained that I was speaking as a moderator. I'm also in the GNOME release team, GNOME sysadmin team and a bugmaster. In none of those things I've noticed this. Regarding release team: We almost always let developers decide things and gently steer things in the right direction. See https://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning if you want more background on how things are done @ GNOME. Not sure how it works in KDE, but although I have my own opinion on this topic, I prefer leave this to the developers. I've noticed some of the replies you've got are a bit harsh. This is not how a discussion should be and this is why I responded + cc'ed the mailing list (to prevent it). I really care that a discussion is being held nicely (assume people mean well + somewhat concise in the amount of messages) and step in when it is not. Regarding this topic: Various GNOME developers have already replied, suggest to continue the discussion with them and I'll just lurk. -- Regards, Olav